Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Friday, September 25, 2009

breathing on her own


As you can see from the photo, Moriah is on her way to becoming "wireless."

About 2:15 this afternoon, her breathing tube was removed, as well as the tube taking bile and air out of her stomach, and the oxygen monitor on her brain. Her face is mostly all clear, except for a nasal oxygen tube that's providing her with a little extra oxygen as she breaths on her own.

On her own. Yesterday, they stopped her heart, cooled her body to nearly freezing, and fixed two holes. Today, I watch the heart monitor's rhythms, watch her chest rise and fall, and feel the miracle of it all. The surgeon came by to see her this afternoon, and I thanked him profusely again (mostly, you want to ask these doctors to your house to dinner, maybe invite them to live with you forever, you become so quickly enamored and grateful to them for saving your child's life)...to which he said that what he had done had been really a small thing.

At first, I was thinking, the guy should really learn to take a compliment (if someone told ME my job was a miracle profession, I think I could at least say, "you're welcome"). But then I was reminded of Mother Teresa's words, "We do no great things, only small things with great love." I wonder if for Dr. Emani, heart surgery is his "small thing," the thing he does so well and so easily he almost takes it for granted. His gift. Even so, he did it with such tenderness and care for us and Moriah that I am deeply touched. His love-gift blesses me, and has changed my daughter's life.

Also, I'm touched tonight by the barista at Starbucks, who made a London Fog so slowly and with such attention that I was convinced it would be the best cup of tea I have ever had...and it is. Mmm. Small things, great love.

1 comment:

fancy nancy said...

So amazing Melissa! I was so happy to see all the updates! God is SO good!