During our son's bone marrow transplant, we began referring to our family as "Team Winchell" to make meaningful to both of our sons the way our family would stick together, no matter the challenge. Team Winchell has grown to include their sister, who has Down syndrome. We continue, seven years post-transplant, to navigate this life of adoption, special needs, and medical crises, and to do it with our humor, spirituality, and sanity (mostly) intact.
Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!
"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
the dirty deed is done
So I asked the nurse today if I could administer Moriah's first ACTH shot. I decided I would rather not watch today, and try tomorrow...too much anxious anticipation in between. I practiced on an orange a few times, and when the vial was finally delivered this evening, was able to do what needed to be done. Jabbed the needle into her thigh and pushed the hormone into her body. The nurse told me my hand was steady and I didn't seem nervous at all; I'm not sure how I exuded anything other than grief. I figure someday I'm going to break down and have a good cry about the events of this week, but somehow, I just can't right now. Just keep meeting moments as they come and asking Jesus to heal our little girl, to make her well. Putting a needle into my daughter's body doesn't bother me nearly as much as injecting her with something that might harm her, could possibly heal her. She will either be totally better, or not better and needing to try another medication, or harmed in the process, or... As my friend said to me this evening, we wouldn't accept such odds from a car mechanic ("well, your brakes might be fixed"). That, at least, made me laugh. But someday, I swear, I'm going to cry about it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Missy! That is horrible!!! No mom should have to do that to her own baby. I wish I could come do it for you so you wouldn't have to be the one. I recommend giving in fully to the crying when if finally comes...the hiccuping, snot-running-down-your-face, making-weird-throat-noises kind of crying :) ...b/c the little muffled stifled sobs don't do the pain justice and will keep surfacing up at weird places, like the playground or something! :) It's way better to be comfortable and have a box of kleenex ready for that kind of crying b/c old Dunkin napkins found under the seat of the car really don't hold up! Then I had to switch, I mean *you'll* have to switch over to spare diapers! :) :) Ha Ha. I'm sorry you have to go through this suckiness. I am praying for you even more...that God'll do what He does during these times. I'm not sure what that is, but I know it's super powerful and I wouldn't have made it through our stuff without Him. Lots of love, Debby
Post a Comment