Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Sunday, July 26, 2009

update on Moriah

as emailed July 21

Moriah continues to make progress; I'm waiting to meet with the doctor today, but as of yesterday, we are waiting on her bilirubin numbers to lower a bit before going home. He was hopeful we may go home later this week (tomorrow? Thursday?), UNLESS her numbers climb, in which case, she'll need a GI ultrasound of her liver. Since those are not done at Beverly, that would mean we'd be back to Boston...either as an inpatient or as an outpatient. I'm praying she's healthy enough that they'll let her be discharged, and if we need to follow-up with her GI, we can do it as an outpatient appointment later this week or next.

The doctor decided yesterday that Moriah no longer needed bottles and the little bits of formula they were adding to my bottled milk for 'calories.' They're allowing her to exclusively breastfeed now, which is a triumph for her, and for us. And the new feeding schedule and protocol takes SO much less of my time and energy. They're allowing her to feed more on demand (as long as she's demanding within 3-4 hours of the last feeding) rather than waking her every 3 hours to feed. So I'm feeling a bit freer today and a bit less like I'm force feeding the poor girl.

No comments: