Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Friday, July 24, 2009

Moriah update

(as emailed July 14th)

I'm emailing to let you know that overnight, Moriah was moved from Beverly Hospital to a pediatric cardiac floor at Children's Hospital in Boston. She has Atrioventricular Canal Defect, meaning that she has two large holes in her heart--one in the ventricular wall, and one in the atrium wall, which is allowing oxygen-rich and oxygen-poor blood to be always mixing (hence the cause of her low oxygen levels yesterday). Also, she has some 'confused' arteries around the heart that are sending blood to the wrong places. Last night we learned she will require open heart surgery to correct the defect, though the doctors hope to wait until she is bigger (at least 4 months) to perform it. Until then, the cardiologists at Chilldren's are going to help us develop a plan for helping her to eventually leave the hospital, to breathe well enough on her own, and to get enough calories for growth.

We were heartbroken to see Moriah leave last night, as you can imagine. For now, I'm sill here in Beverly, though the doctor here is trying to get me a transfer to Brigham's, so I could be closer to Moriah and see her more easily. It would be easier on our entire family if Moriah and I were in adjoining hospitals in Boston; I'm hoping I can transfer there today.

No comments: