After my last post (the response to which has been so overwhelming and heartfelt...thank you, friends), I realized the paradox of so many "firsts" while we are also experiencing so many "lasts."
Yesterday morning, awake at 4 am to feed Moriah and unable to return to sleep, I eventually snuck out of a sleep-filled house with our dog Kobe to Lynn Woods just as the sun was beginning to rise. Our last walk there. Jason and I have had so many countless walks in that place--with our first puppy, Jake; before children and after; with a baby carrier and with dog treats. I will miss the woods and its quiet solitude and opportunities for re-connection.
Yesterday afternoon, our last walk on Lynn Beach. Jason and I were able to steal away for a couple hours sans boys (thanks, Chris and Christy!) for a final walk on the boardwalk. We lived in our house near the beach for eight years, and discussed everything from founding our non-profit, to adopting the boys we had just met in Haiti, to whether to choose a bone marrow transplant for our son, to living more intentionally in our relationships with God and one another and our city. And so many friends we've walked with on that beach! Eleven years of friends and long walks, laughter and tears, conversation and walking prayer. One of my favorite beach memories will always be the 5K my sister, my best friend, Orilus and I ran together after his transplant was over. The miracle of Orilus' new life was palpable, energizing, and a love-force that is difficult to describe. I know that blog post is here somewhere (September of 2007, just two years ago, really?!).
Our last pastry at D'Amicci's (just around the corner from our first apartment in Lynn, where we lived for free in exchange for managing the propety, which was mostly about vaccumming the halls and getting yelled at by disgruntled tenants...those days as college student and youth pastor seem so far away now). Our last trip to Kane's Donuts. A final burrito al pastor at Mexico Lindo. Last pancake at Brother's Deli. Last roast beef at John's (I guess it's no wonder I weigh more now than I did at our wedding twelve and a half years ago!).
And tomorrow night, our last night in Lynn, which we'll celebrate (where else?) at my dear friend's Chinese restaurant on the Lynn-Swampscott line. How many hours I've spent at Yan's Bistro and with Karen and her family! How many New Year's Eves spent delivering food with them!
I know we'll be back to Lynn to visit friends, and re-visit many of these places again. Sometimes, I understand we are moving, and other times, I do not at all and feel there is really no way to bring to a close eleven years of hopes and dreams for a city, a love for friends and neighbors and colleagues and teenagers we've met and worked with, and a passing of time that has brought us more surprises (and more trips to Boston hospitals!) than we could have ever imagined.
Our last Monday in Lynn today, friends. Wednesday morning, I'll load the kids into the car and drive to West Bridgewater. We'll return on Friday to load our truck for one last time...do come by to say good-byes that morning if you are around. Last hugs (one of my favorite things in the whole world) will abound!
So thankful this week that the burden of so many lasts is lightened by the joys of so many firsts as this season of our life gives way to another. Happy day of thanks to you all, with thanks for all the ways you've loved us well.
No comments:
Post a Comment