Today is an important date...exactly six weeks since Moriah's open heart surgery, which means we have reached the official end of her post-op recovery! No more precautions--she can be on her belly now, and we can pick her up under her arms again. I am so proud of my little girl.
This morning I'm sorting through Moriah's drawers, packing and deciding what we're bringing with us to the Winchells and what is going to storage. I first dressed Moriah in a NICU; her gowns from those long days all bear her initials "MW," and I remember writing her initials there and realizing for the first time that we would bear the same ones. There are the snap-up T-shirts from her days after her open heart surgery; they were easiest to get on and off of her when her chest was so sore and tender. I will always associate these outfits with particular rooms in particular hospitals, with particular nurses and rocking chairs and parent beds. Sometimes, when I think back to those days, I am nearly breathless with how painful they were, and I'm not sure how we got through them.
But we did. And so this morning I'll pack the reminders away, and choose again to begin a new day, to savor this moment--Moriah napping, my hot mug of pumpkin coffee beside me--and to fill the next box. More than ever before, I'm aware what a daring and audacious choice this is, to begin again, to welcome future and not shrink back. Grace that both moors, and propels.
2 comments:
well said. Love you and I'm so proud of you for not allowing yourself to be swallowed up by grief, sadness or anger. Can I just say I learn from you all the time.
Thank you for sharing your Little Princess with me.
The path will be ever winding, enjoy the journey. There are treasures in every step of the way, don't miss them!
I look forward to watching her grow. I wish all of you the best of health and happiness in your new home.
Post a Comment