So I thought the GI Clinic this afternoon would be no big deal...actually, I sort of felt like our pediatrician was going overboard by scheduling the appointment. But it's a good thing we went. Apparenty Moriah is probably allergic to both milk and soy--which means, since I'm trying to get back to breastfeeding, I need to be milk and soy free (could our attempts at breastfeeding be made any more difficult?!) and in the meantime, Moriah needs to eat the really expensive milk and soy free formula. Fabulous.
Then the GI doc proceeds to tell us that Moriah's rectum is prolapsed, which could be an indication of her allergy (constipation)...or a symptom of...cystic fibrosis.
I laughed. I really did. To which the doctor said, "They say there is no humor in heaven. And here's why: when everything's fine, who needs humor?!" Which made me laugh more. To which he said, "You know, with some parents, I tell them their kid has just reflux, and it turns into an hour-long conversation; with you people, it's like you hardly blink when I mention a genetic disorder, and given your three weeks, I can understand why." So then of course we mentioned well, yeah, we've even been through a bone marrow transplant with our son...to which he said something about life having a lot of crap. Which of course I found even MORE hysterical, considering we were at the GI doctor's giving him Moriah's stool samples.
Oh my, friends. Pray. It just cannot be. We have to call tomorrow to get a "sweat test" scheduled. In the meantime, I missed our cheeseburger dinner tonight...and made two eggs instead. Oh, and I have to give up my latest craving--Reese's Pieces--because it has whey. Dude. What a day.
7 comments:
Melissa, for the expensive formula, look on Craig's List. That's what we have to feed Naomi, and have been able to get it for next to nothing!We continue to be praying for you and your family!
holy shmoly. we will be praying. i try to pray for you every time charlotte feeds. love you guys. love this blog.
Good Grief!!!!! Cystic Fibrosis too?!?!! Geesh! I betcha the doc is wrong. I'll pray that the test doesn't give you any false positives, or true positives for that matter! I just wrote you an email about dairy free tips. You can do this, Missy!! You're doing a great job!!
Praying? with out hesitation! But my word, you have had enough bad news - it's time for some good news! I am trusting God, as are many others, for healing for Moriah! Did you try the breast milk bank for her?
Love, Mom
Hugs and prayers from Bama :) Love you SO much! You guys are on my heart daily. It has been too long...
Amanda (used to be Wilfert)Houk :)
Dairy Free Tip ( I can't have it at all any more)Turtle Mountain makes EXCELLENT dairy free icecream :) I think Stop and Shop carries it in Lynn.
Hey missy- I can't share your frustration with food restrictions but I know Ali can! She was on a beef, egg, and dairy free diet for just about a year since her youngest had lots of GI issues related to intolerances- she's found lots of substitutes - feel free to email her and get some suggestions for what products she has found that are dairy/soy free. her email is marchofdimesmom@gmail.com
we're continuing to pray for you all as you work through all this information and do whats best for Moriah!
Hi Missy. Ali (McGuirk) Graham here...I've been keeping tabs from a distance as Melissa gives me updates. I am just on your blog for the first time and this one caught my attention. I see my sister beat me to an offer to chat about nursing a baby with food intolerances. We've been through the upper GI, ultrasounds, and major food restrictions since July 2008. God has been so good to heal Emma of all but her dairy intolerance and I do have solutions for the chocolate and peanut butter fix... :-) Be in touch if you'd like! Love and prayers from Holden, Ali
Post a Comment