I HAVE been finding a lot of solace lately in mindful domestic tasks. My herb garden continues to grow--my cilantro and parsley is OUT OF CONTROL in its small pots (and yummy). Apparently, thyme takes a lot longer to grow...and poor, poor rosemary. Struggling, to say the least. Also last weekend (was it?) I started tomatoes and lettuce indoors in the hopes that I can have a couple of large pots of vegetables this summer (an urban garden of sorts). Though Christy just told me about a square foot gardening concept and book that I apparently need to read.
I've also made good on my word to make our own soaps. We've still got plenty of cleaners left, but in the past weeks we've run out of dishwasher soap (equal parts borax and washing soda are doing the trick...though we are going to start adding vinegar to the rinse cycle to get rid of the cloudly quality of the glassware), laundry soap (water, borax, Ivory in a 5 gallon batch), and today, dish soap (Ivory, water, and lemon juice). It's so FUN, and the kitchen smells like boiling soap, and (apparently) I'm saving LOTS of money. And best of all...sticking it to the man (or, the cleaning companies).
Another case of "proximate justice," maybe? Small rebellions, indeed. :)
We are about to receive an offer on our house...and still prayerfully looking for one to make an offer ON here in Lynn. Such an interesting month or two of waiting this has been. Pray for an AMAZING three-family in a DIFFICULT neighborhood to come our way!
4 comments:
Do you want some baby onions? I have LOTS!
I was thrilled to see that my chives survived the winter (I'm hoping they grow a bit.)
We've also started our lettuce and tomatoes (and morning glories) and they are springing up like anything. I've also got seed potatoes and carrots and snap peas. (I'd recommend potatoes; they're really easy and you really can just sprout some from the store and put them in the ground; that's what I did last year)
I'm intrigued by the notion of making soap...any idea what the environmental impact is of your homemade kind? We strive to be phosphorous free.
Keep us posted on the house!
Yes, yes! Square foot gardening ROCKS! I have more spinach this year than I thought possible!!
hey, I'll just make the third OC to respond. I found you and now I cna keep up with another daughter. YAY!
I love the idea of a more natural soap, but I wonder if you are using Ivory - isn't that the same thing? Guess I'm showing my ignorance here! Is it environmentally and economically better that what you can get at Trader Joes????? Tell me more!
Post a Comment