Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Monday, November 12, 2007

anniversary day

Today is the "official" one and half year anniversary of Orilus' transplant...from May 12, 2006 to November 12, 2007.

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful weekend, a better celebration of our family. After Friday's happy visit to Jimmy Fund, we spent a fun morning together (in the freezing cold, 34-degree windy weather) at a nearby park with Orilus' classmates. Then, Orilus was off to his first sleepover at a friend's house--I have to say, I was a little choked up about it. From transplant to sleepovers in a year and a half...it's a lot for a mom to contemplate, I think. Jackson also had 2 friends spend the night here, and I enjoyed a yummy Indian dinner out with a friend. Sunday we had church and a quiet afternoon of LEGOs and cookie-baking and football on the street here at home. We were able to reconnect with some friends last night at their house for supper. It's strange, but after transplant, and after losing our best friends in Lynn (my sister and her husband, and the Brownes), we're just now re-building our lives socially, and remembering we can go out, and have people over. Today we had no plans, and so there was room for canning apple butter and baking fresh pumpkin (to freeze for us at Thanksgiving in pumpkin cheesecakes), and writing a letter or two, and hosting my in-laws for an impromptu early supper. A full, and happy weekend. Down time. Family time. Friends. Prayer and meaningful conversation together. I'm feeling centered on all that is important, and ready to start a week at school, gloves and hats in a big bag for all the refugee students I teach who are without.

Happy anniversary to us. Life is not easy, but there is beauty to behold in so many places. And now, I am off to close the evening with journaling, and prayer, and the opening pages of War and Peace (the new acclaimed translation). Emphasis on the Peace.

2 comments:

Tracy Novick said...

and is W&P for fun or class?

Rebecca said...

Happy Anniversary! :-)