We want to officially thank the MANY of you who came out Wednesday night to "Eat for Eddie." A colleague of mine commented on the beautiful, hopeful spirit of the evening; together, we created an atmosphere of JOY. Afterwards, Kori (Eddie's mom) and I talked around my kitchen table about the synergy of working with others, about how much good is accomplished when people come together. Thank you once again for being people, and friends, who care, even for people you do not know. Kori was truly touched, and I'm pleased that the event, and the donations many of you made without coming, raised nearly $2,500 for Eddie and his family. We're so grateful, as this will see the family through the holiday time and into the spring...and we hope by then for Eddie's return to school, and a healthy and normal life for them all.
Kori told me that the highlight of her evening were the 13 people who registered as bone marrow donors. THANK YOU for registering to save a life. For Kori and I, that alone made our event completely worth it.
Special thanks also to Tony Gallo Group, who added musical FUN to the night, and to Tatiana's, for hosting us.
We have spent a weekend recuperating from the event, and from a busy week. Friday night Jason and I went to see a movie, which we have had no desire to do in quite a while...we went to see "Dan in Real Life," which was a completely sweet and feel-good movie, just what I needed. Yesterday we spent a lovely afternoon at the Winchells house (Jason's folks), where we gathered to take a professional family portrait and to celebrate our 2 nephew's 4th birthdays. And today, after church, Orilus and Jackson were invited to a birthday party...and we ended up alone! How strange, this beginning of separation between us and our children, when they have their own schedules, and friends! But we shared a lovely afternoon together at Barnes and Noble as Jason worked on graduate work and grading, and I at journaling and reading. I truly needed a weekend like this to re-orient and rest, and I am grateful for it. Jason and I laughed so much this afternoon...laughed till we cried. It's so funny how an afternoon into our 11th year of marriage can feel rather like an afternoon in our 1st...and yet so much more history to it, so much more fullness.
I didn't get a chance to comment on last weekend, which was also awesome. Every year my sisters and I try to gather for our annual "sister retreat," and we had a BALL last weekend at Debby's condo in Cambridge. We took a professional portrait, and hung out at a mall, and did a Duck Tour, and talked and laughed. I really, really miss my sisters lately, with Becky living in New Jersey and Ginny in Vermont, and it was such a joy to be together with them. I wish we could do sister retreat every weekend. There is simply nothing like having a sister, and being loved by a sister. Man, do I love them.
So after weeks of tiredness, and some sickness, and much overwhelming, I think I'm on an upswing, and more ready to move into whatever this new season of life is, with school in full-swing, and my boys growing up, and Jason taking classes. It's been a harder adjustment than I thought, and though it's taken me until nearly November, I'm finally ready to embrace this school year, and the changes it has already brought. I'm re-affirming my faith that whatever life brings, God is here, and we are okay.
Much hope and peace to you all.
Missy
1 comment:
Thanks for posting an update. I know it takes time (such a precious thing!), but we do like hearing about how all of you are doing. So glad Eddie's evening went well!
Post a Comment