Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Old friends

(a re-post from Facebook)

Am I dissertation-ing while on retreat this week? Why yes, I am.

Still, it's not a bad life: Sitting in a bagel cafe with unlimited serve-yourself coffee, surrounded by mountains in the Monadnock valley, returning in a couple hours to family and very, very dear friends.

One of the greatest helps of our Moriah-life has been, in fact, these old friends. Jason's college roommate became a good friend of mine, too, as Jason and I began dating, became engaged, and were married (his buddy was in our wedding and was a sort of go-to guy in lots of ways in those early years; he and Jason even worked for the same engineering company for some time together in those early dating and married days). Later, when his buddy married (an amazing woman Jason and he had both known from college), Jason was in their wedding, and we were both there to celebrate the start of their life together.

Years later, they birthed a child with Down syndrome. Nearly two years after that, we did, too.

How does that happen? How do two college buddies both end up with very similar sorts of kids, and struggles, and heartache?

It's the most weird and delightful sort of mystery. But I know this: Without these friends, we would not have survived that first week of Moriah's birth; they came and sat with us in the hospital, and were among the few who dared to weep with us. They completely accepted, permitted, and understood our shock, terror, rage, and devastation. A couple months later, they sat with us through Moriah's open heart surgery. And they have been there--especially when we've been able to make these summer retreats--in countless ways for us since.

Sometimes when I'm with them (as we are this week), I have the strange feeling that we are the people we were 20 years ago when we first met. Or 16 years ago at our wedding, or a dozen years ago at theirs. And then I see all our kids running around, and how tired we all are, and how much more resolutely and realistically seeking God and love and hope, and I realize we are in so many ways not those people at all.

It makes me sad and very, very happy, both.

Here's what I'm loving this week: The familiar ways of old friends, the tried-and-true hugs, the mugs of coffee we share, the laughter that stretches back for decades, and the circle that continues to widen as we welcome new friends to our fold. Being with them is a re-tracing the history of us, finding our mooring again, and gaining the courage and the hope to open our arms to change and transformation one more time.

No comments: