That's right, friends. Moriah's in the hospital again.
Moriah and I spent our Easter Sunday in the ER--she woke up that morning with a really high fever and a bad cough. Diagnosis: virus. Monday we visited the doctor. Diagnosis: virus. Tuesday we visited the doctor again. Diagnosis: croup and an ear infection. Yesterday we asked and went for a chest X-ray. Diagnosis: bad pneumonia in the right lung. We were sent immediately to be admitted at South Shore Hospital so she could be monitored and treated with IV antibiotics.
So here we are. Yesterday was one of Moriah's worst days...fussing and crying for hours, and unable to calm herself or get herself to sleep. So unlike her. I grew frustrated with her, with her nurse, with the situation...it's times like these when acceptance of this life (kids with DS tend to have more sickness, especially respiratory ones) seems really far fetched. And pretty much unattainable.
I finally fell asleep a couple hours ago with a hurting chest (the stress, I know), saying to myself, "My life agrees with me. My life agrees with me" (a mantra a colleague taught me a couple years ago). Except I pretty much feel like that's a lie, because once again I am kicking and screaming against everything DS might mean for Moriah, and yes, for me, and for us.
So we need prayers for Moriah and her healing especially. And her comfort--the poor, fussy girl. So awful to see her so sad! But also, prayers for trust again, for surrender again. Sometimes, depression and discouragement seem like twin house guests who visit too awfully frequently...am trying to laugh at them, and listen to what they have to teach me.
Moriah is fussing again (thanks to our night nurse, who woke us both by turning ON the overhead light...ugh!) and she's not getting herself back to sleep at all. Prayers, friends! We need them.
3 comments:
Melissa, when your mom posted about Moriah being sick and have pnemonia on Facebook, my heart sank. I perfectly understand how stress you are and have to deal all over again being at the hospital. I feel you. I dont know if your mom told you that I used to work and teach parents of DS ASL so they can sign to their kids and I have learned alot about DS getting sick, have medical encounters and so on. Moriah is a gift from God and he has a reason. I surely hope Moriah will feel better soon and that you both can go home. I hope my comment lift your spirits. Take Care, Melissa.
Bren
Oh Missy, I'm so sorry! That totally stinks! Unfortunately, it took us 2 pneumonia hospitalizations before we clued into Noah's extremely subtle signs - read: "hmm...he seems kind of crabby today and took a long nap." So we'd go demand an xray and antibiotics. Sure enough, we've been right every time. Now we usually can talk them out of the xray and just ask for antibiotics. The past 3 times we've caught it quick enough that he only needed home care (antibiotics, steroids and nebulizer). The first couple of times at the hospital, were pretty traumatizing...even now since we've been catching the pneumonia early we always still feel like we just missed getting hit by a bus!
I'm so sorry that Moriah is in the hospital. You will get through this. You will survive, Missy! You can do it! You are doing a great job being Moriah's mother and being persistent with her care when the doctors wanted to write it off as a virus. Good job! I am praying for you guys! Lots of love, Debby
It's me again. I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mention our experiences to insinuate that you should have caught it sooner. I meant it to come across as, that with any other kid a cough and fever would be just that: a cough and fever. In any other crabby baby, it would be due to teething, not pneumonia. But for us moms of kids with DS it's often something more. You did good getting her in so quickly!! You will get even better though and might get a weird kind of delight about being able to diagnose your kids before the doctors can! Hey, you take joy in what you can! :) Ok, I'm done. Still praying!
Post a Comment