Welcome to the Team Winchell blog!

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small." --Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

thankful

So much good news in that last week!

Last Wednesday, I went to my doctoral interview at UMass Boston. I walked away from the interview feeling confirmed in my pursuit of that particular degree, at that particular place, in this particular time. I also felt an assurance that I had earned a place in the 2008 cohort...and yesterday, I received official word that this is the case! I'll begin my 3 1/2 years of classes this July with 2 courses offered over three full-time weeks. In the fall, I'll begin my academic year schedule of 2 evenings per week and one Saturday per month.

Last Thursday we completed academic evaluations for both Orilus and Jackson, a process we undergo every year to check in with their progress. Both boys are grade-ready, though they still lack significant background knowledge (obviously). We were pleased to see such great results on their tests...yet more evidence of how much they have grown since coming home with us nearly four years ago.

Last Friday Orilus and I spent a full day at Jimmy Fund and Children's Hospital. We're still waiting on results of some of his tests, but so far, all of the news is extraordinary. For the first time in his life, his blood labs are completely perfect! Some of you may remember how confusing his liver numbers were throughout his transplant, so often halting our progress...well, they were PERFECT last week. The doctors are amazed. And...we don't have to return to Jimmy Fund for ONE YEAR. Considering how often we used to visit there (and how we lived across the street at the hospital), this feels like quite a miracle.

This week promises to be full...the boys' chorus concert tonight, Jackson's "Biography Day" Thursday morning (he's dressing up as Paul Revere and presenting a biography poster), and the boys' Field Day on Friday (Dad's volunteering as a coach that day). Also, the boys are fully into their soccer season now, with games on Sunday afternoons. And piano lessons and soccer practice Thursday afternoons. But the school year is winding down...we are already anticipating a slower pace in a few weeks...and we are getting excited for summer (the boys already counting down the days).

2 comments:

Tracy Novick said...

Congratulations, Missy! You rock!

So glad to hear of Orlius' good health report; what a relief!

Rebecca said...

All amazing news from an amazing family!

And might I say...your boys brought me to tears while at work again yesterday...Orilus singing me his favorite chorus song was one of the most beautiful things I've heard in my life. I love his sweet and earnest spirit and his love for Jesus. sigh. I miss you guys.