Dear Family and Friends,
Hello again from South Africa! As you can tell, we don't have a lot of opportunity here to get on a computer, and I have but a few short minutes before my time runs out at the Internet cafe. I'm now in Durban, a beach city along the Indian Ocean, and want you all to know that I am safe, healthy, and well.
We just spent an extraordinary five days in the Drakensberg Mountaings (between here and Joberg, near Losotho), observing community initiatives in Zulu villages there. We were able to meet many extraordinary missioners and members of the Zulu community, working together in all kinds of situations--youth empowerment through microfinance, HIV home hospice care, a beading industry for local women. It was extraordinary, really, and inspiring. I was particularly blessed by our hosts, the Borgmans, who shared their beautiful home and awe-inspiring view of the mountains with us, as well as their lives and faith. As a particular treat, we were also able to go horseback riding through a game park; amazing to be so near to herds of zebras and giraffes!
Tomorrow morning we leave Durban by airplane for Cape Town, a 2-hour flight west to the Atlantic side of the country. There, we will observe the work of a non-profit run out of the University of Cape Town, and then travel with Val's friends a bit outside the city to Paarl (wine country) to observe a ministry there that works with youth through sports and camp. Next Monday, we'll begin the long trek home to Boston!
Thanks for your continued prayers for us. I've been a bit more homesick this weekend than before, but am greatly encouraged in God and in the many here for whom reconcliliation and hope are practical, and intentional.
I miss you all, especially my husband and boys (and my sisters...congrats on your job, Bex!). Prayers for you all.
Love to you from Durban,
Missy
1 comment:
Sweet, I got a shout out on your blog post! Thanks, dude!
I'm glad someone else is homesick besides me! :-) You'll be home before you know it, and it sounds like you'll have memories to last a lifetime. I can't wait to hear them.
I love you, dear sister! I hope you're able to soak in every moment, every ray of sunshine, every good word you hear and every thoughtful deed you see. May God continue to change your (and our!) worldly perspectives of His creation and handiwork to His perspective!
Post a Comment